Chittorgarh Travel Guide
The town of the brave, known for its massive fort atop
a hill, which can be singled out for its glorious past.
fort has checkered history, it has witnessed some of the bloodiest battles iln
history, three great Sakas and some of the most heroic deeds of valor, which
are still sung by the local musicians. The antiquity of Chittaurgarh is difficult
to trace, but it is believed that Bhim the legendary figure of the Mahabharta,
visited this place to learn the secrets of immortality and became the disciple
of a sage, but his impatience to perform all the rites deprived him of his goal,
and out of sheer anger he stamped on ground creating water reservoir, this reservoir
is called as Bhim Lat. Later on, it came under the Mauryas or Muri Rajputs,
there are different opinions as to when ilt came under the Mewar ruler, but
it remained the capital of Mewar till 1568, when it was shifted to Udaipur.
It is believed that Bappa Rawal the legendary founder of the Sisodia clan, received
Chittaur in the middle of 8th century, as a part of the dowry after marriage
with the last Solanki princess, after that his descendants ruled Mewar which
stretched from Gujarat to Ajmer, upto the 16th century.
71,566 Area: 7sq.km.
SummerMax.33.8*c, Min.11.6*c winter Max. 28.3*c, Min. 11.6*c
Summer Light Cottons, Winter Woolens Best Season; Oct. To Mar.
Rajasthani, Hindi & Gujarati;
Places to Visit
A standing sentinel to the courage and valor of Chittaurgarh, it stands tall
over a 180 meter high hillock covering a massive area of 700 acres. The fort
is belileved to have been built by the Maurya rulers in 7th century AD. The
important monuments inside the fort are :
VIJAY STAMBH OR 'VICTORY TOWER:
Built by Rana Kumbha in 1440 , to commemorate the victory over the combined
forces of the kings of neighboring Malwa and Gujarat, this tower is 120ft. (36.5mts)
high and has a girth of 30 ft. at the base, the nine storied high limestone
structure is richly ornamented from top to bottom.
KIRTI STAMBH OR 'TOWER OF FAME:
iln the 12th century, dedicated to Lord Sri Adinath Rishab deo, the first Jain
Tirthankar. The 22 metre high structure ils rdeplete with figures from Jain
pantheon. There are several other Jain temples iln Chittaurgarh.
RANA KUMBHA'S PALACE:
The largest monument of the fort, it is believed that Rani Padmini committed
Jauhar, in once of these underground cellars. The palace is in ruins but generates
historical as well as architectural interest. The original palace was believed
to have been built by Rana Hamir after regaining the fort in the first siege.
The Mewar power reached its acme during Rana Kumbha's time, he was a great patron
of art and architecture, which is amply reflected in the palace.
The palace of Rani Padmini who preferred death before dishonor, and committed
Johar, along with her entire entourage before falling into the hands of Allauddin
Khilji. It was here that Rana Ratan Singh allowed a glimpse of the legendary
beauty to Allauddin Khilji. The Zanana Mahal overlooks the pond, Padmini stood
over here and the reflection of her was shown in the water to Allauddin Khilji.
temple is dedicated to the mystic poetess Meera, and a devotee of Lord Krishna.
Meera was born in Kurki village near Merta to Ratan Singh Rathors, and was married
to Bhojraj son of Rana Sanga of Mewar. Legends say that she consumed poison
set by Vikramaditya but nothing happended to her due to the blessings of Lord
Krishna. In front of the temple is the cenotaph (chhatri) of Meera Bai's Guru
Shri Rai Das of Banaras, inside the cenotaph is carved a figure of five human
bodies with one head, depicting that all castes are equal and even outcasts
can attain God.
KUMBHA SHYAM TEMPLE:
Thetemple dedicated to Varah (Boar), the incarnation of Lord Vishnu. It was
built in 1448 AD. By Rana Kumbha Mahasati cenotaphs The cremation site of the
Ranas and their wives, the sites are marked with Chhatris.
KALIKA MATA TEMPLE:
The temple is dedicated to Goddess Kali, the symbol of power and valour. Situated
towards the southern side of the fort, it was built by Rana Hamir. Originally
it was built as a Sun Temple by Bappa Rawal in the 8th century, but ws destroyed
during the first sack of Chittaur. Rana Hamir converted it into a Kali temple
on regaining the fort in the 14th century. The house of Chunda is situated near
the temple. There are several other temples, within the ramparts of the fort
like that of the temple of Annapurana, Jain Temples etc.
JAIMAL AND PATTA'S PALACE:
Theruins of this palace remind once of the story of the gallant Rathores Jaimal
and Sisodia Patta the two great warriors, who layed down their lives for the
honour of Chittaurgarh.
The magnificent Fateh Prakash Mahal has been converted into a museum, which
houses a rare and rich collectino of sculptures from the fort and the temples.
GAUMUKH(COW'S MOUTH RESERVOIR):
Situated near the Mahasati Chowk, the water from a spring flows through a stone
structure carved in the form of a cow's mouth into the reservoir.
MOHAR MAGRI (HILL OF GOLD COINS):
A small structure which was raised during the invasion of Chittaurgarh by Akbar
in 1567, it gets the name Mohar Magri because it is believed that Emperor Akbar
paid one mohar (gold coin) for each basketful of earth placed on the mound,
as the work was very dangerous, brave soldiers guarding the the ramparts fromabvoe.
The mound was raised to such a height that the Mughal cannons could be placed
over it and fired inside the fort. The important places inside are, the temple
of Tulja Bhawani (the tutelary goddess of the scribes), the Naulakha Bhandar
or nine lakh treasury, Singar Chauri, depicting inscriptions dating back to
1448 AD. Sat -bis-Deori, the old Jain temple etc.